A Nigerian national, Augustine Okechuku Maazi, has appeared before the Accra Circuit Court 8 in Ghana over an alleged plot to rob three banks in the Labone area of Accra.
Maazi was arraigned on Monday, August 17, days after Ghanaian police reportedly foiled what they described as a planned robbery operation targeting GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank.
The suspect was arrested on Thursday, August 13, while two other alleged members of the gang were reportedly killed during a shootout with the police. Another suspect allegedly escaped from the scene.
According to the Ghana Police Service, it received intelligence at about 10:45 a.m. on August 13 that a group of suspected armed robbers was preparing to attack the three banks located in the Labone area.
Police officers were subsequently deployed to the area, where they allegedly spotted suspected members of the group in vehicles parked close to the banks.
The police said one of the vehicles sped away after its occupants noticed the presence of officers, leading to a chase during which Maazi was arrested while another occupant escaped.
According to the police account, occupants of a second vehicle also attempted to flee while allegedly opening fire on the officers. A shootout reportedly followed, resulting in the deaths of two suspects.
Two vehicles were subsequently recovered, including a Toyota Highlander with registration number GS-1434-18 and a Hyundai Tucson with registration number GS 7915-17. Police also reportedly recovered a blow pistol.
However, the police account has been challenged by GCB Bank, which denied that its Labone branch was attacked or targeted in an attempted robbery.
The bank stated that no robbery or attempted robbery occurred at the branch, insisting that the facility was never breached.
GCB Bank further said that no customer, staff member, funds or property was attacked or stolen during the incident.
The conflicting accounts have raised questions over the exact circumstances surrounding the police operation and whether the suspects were indeed preparing to rob the banks, as alleged by the authorities.
Further questions were also reportedly raised over the history of the Toyota Highlander recovered by the police after checks indicated that the vehicle had previously been listed by Ghanaian authorities as having been impounded in 2019.
The controversy surrounding Maazi's arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects has reportedly prompted the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana to intervene.
The President of All Nigerian Communities in Ghana was reportedly sent to Ghana Police Headquarters to seek clarification regarding the circumstances surrounding Maazi's arrest and the deaths of the other alleged suspects.
Meanwhile, Maazi's court appearance has brought renewed attention to the conflicting accounts of the incident, with further details expected as the legal proceedings and investigations continue.

0 Comments
DISCLAIMER
The views and opinions expressed on this platform as comments were freely made by each person under his or her own volition or responsibility and were neither suggested nor dictated by the owners of News PLATFORM or any of their contracted staff. So we take no liability whatsoever for such comments.
Please take note!