The 38 rescued worshippers of the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, Eruku, in Kwara State have still not been allowed to return home, several days after regaining their freedom, fresh findings have shown.
The group, who were abducted by bandits on November 18 during a special thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area, are reportedly being kept in an undisclosed hotel in Ilorin, even though they have already completed government-funded medical checks.
During the attack, three people were killed, while one person sustained gunshot injuries.
The victims were freed last Sunday and moved to Ilorin by government officials. Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq confirmed their release in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye.
The statement did not clarify where or how the release happened, but the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, denied claims that ransom was paid, insisting the government only negotiated.
Despite this, the worshippers have still not been reunited with their families, causing rising tension among relatives.
A family member of one of the abductees, who asked not to be named for security reasons, said the community had expected an immediate reunion once the release was announced.
He mentioned that although they were grateful the victims were out of danger, the prolonged delay had become emotionally difficult.
He said, “The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when they called us on Sunday to say they had been released. Everyone was dancing and thanking God. But since that day, they have yet to arrive in Eruku.
“We miss them and hope to see them soon. We thank God they are no longer with the kidnappers, but the wait is becoming heavy on the heart.”
Another relative shared similar concerns, saying conflicting reports in the community had increased their fears.
She said, “We are hearing different things about where they are. But at least we saw them on the news on Sunday with the government, and we have spoken with them on the phone. They assured us they are safe. Seeing them physically will bring peace of mind.”
When asked whether the community contributed money for the release, a relative maintained that no ransom was paid.
He said, “We don’t know how they were released or from where. We only got calls from security officers on Sunday evening saying our people had been freed and were being taken to the Government House for medical care.”
A senior government official, who preferred not to be named, confirmed that the victims were still undergoing medical and psychological checks in Ilorin.
He explained, “They passed through severe trauma, especially the younger and older ones. The government is focused on their well-being and wants them to receive comprehensive care before returning home.”
When asked if ransom was paid, he firmly denied it.
He said, “The government cannot give money to bandits because it sends the wrong message that crime is rewarding. People should commend the government for ensuring the victims were released unharmed. They will reunite with their families soon.”
Residents of Eruku said they appreciated the medical support but were eager for the worshippers to return for proper communal healing.
The state government has not given any explanation for the delay in reuniting the victims with their families.
When contacted, the Commissioner for Communication, Bolanle Olukoju, said she would respond with details, but several hours later, further inquiries went unanswered.
Security sources suggested the victims may still be undergoing trauma assessment and debriefing in a secure location.

0 Comments
DISCLAIMER
The views and opinions expressed on this platform as comments were freely made by each person under his or her own volition or responsibility and were neither suggested nor dictated by the owners of News PLATFORM or any of their contracted staff. So we take no liability whatsoever for such comments.
Please take note!