![]() |
| Nicki Minaj. |
Nigeria on Tuesday strongly protested its exclusion from a United Nations event featuring U.S. rapper Nicki Minaj, held against the backdrop of allegations of killings targeting Nigerians of a particular faith group.
Syndoph Endoni, the Chargé d’Affaires of Nigeria’s Permanent Mission to the UN, criticised the decision, saying it amounted to “shaving our head in our absence”. He insisted that no discussion involving accusations against Nigeria should take place without the country’s participation.
The event, hosted at the UN headquarters by the U.S. Mission, followed renewed accusations from the United States alleging persecution of Christians in Nigeria — claims the Nigerian government has repeatedly denied. Former U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier designated Nigeria as “a Country of Particular Concern” over alleged Christian genocide.
Endoni dismissed the allegations once again, stressing the importance of allowing Nigeria to be present whenever such sensitive matters are raised. He said decisions affecting a nation must not be made without its knowledge or consent.
By excluding Nigeria, he argued, the U.S. denied the country the chance to give its own account of events. He expressed disappointment that only a few carefully selected countries were allowed to attend.
“We asked whether it was acceptable to continue shaving someone’s hair while he is not even there,” he said, emphasising that the Nigerian government is not ignoring the activities of criminal elements.
He added that solving Nigeria’s security challenges requires true cooperation between both countries and urged the U.S. to ensure inclusive engagements to prevent unnecessary escalation of tensions surrounding claims of Christian persecution.
NAN reports that U.S. Senior Advisor for African Affairs, Ambassador Patricia Mahoney, visited Nigeria’s Mission in New York on Monday to inform Endoni about the Minaj event. She stated that three UN member states and several individuals, including a Nigerian pastor, were invited—but no Nigerian government official was included.
She told the Nigerian side that participants specifically requested that no Nigerian officials be present due to fears of retaliation against them or their families.
Despite the exclusion, Endoni said Nigeria would continue engaging with the United States on extremist-related killings and on collaborative efforts to safeguard lives and property in Nigeria.

0 Comments
DISCLAIMER
The views and opinions expressed on this platform as comments were freely made by each person under his or her own volition or responsibility and were neither suggested nor dictated by the owners of News PLATFORM or any of their contracted staff. So we take no liability whatsoever for such comments.
Please take note!