Many people are feared dead after armed attackers invaded several communities in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State, shooting residents and forcing others to flee for safety.
The attack reportedly occurred at about 4:30am on Sunday, August 16, 2026, with residents telling Daily Trust that the assailants targeted at least six communities in Mbaterem Council Ward.
The affected communities include Ayaba, Ukpen, Bom, Ikpur, Aboajio and Yina.
According to locals, the attackers arrived on motorcycles and opened fire sporadically, killing an unspecified number of residents and injuring several others.
The violence reportedly sent residents fleeing into nearby bushes for safety as the attackers moved through the communities.
The Chairman of Ukum LGA, Jonathan Modi, said security operatives responded promptly and brought the situation under control.
Modi said he was still at the affected locations as of 5pm on Sunday, assisting with the evacuation of injured victims and recovery of bodies.
“The security responded immediately to the attacks. Sadly, there were casualties but we are at the scene moving those wounded to the hospital. We have recovered some bodies,” he said.
He added that additional security personnel had been deployed to areas considered vulnerable to further attacks.
The Benue State Police Command also confirmed the incident.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Peter Aondongu, said the command was still gathering details of the attack.
“I can confirm that there was an attack in Ukum LGA. More details will be communicated to you as soon as I have them,” he said.
Reacting to the incident, Governor Hyacinth Alia commiserated with families who lost loved ones and commended security agencies for their prompt response.
In a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor said the attackers invaded communities including Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina, Aboajio and Ukpen, killing and injuring residents.Alia, who attributed the attack to armed herders, vowed that his administration would continue supporting security agencies in protecting residents and communities across the state.
“Benue lands for Benue people. Anyone who thinks attacking us will intimidate us to leave the land is making a mistake,” the governor said.
“I took an oath to protect our people, and I will not relent. I must appreciate the fact that the Federal Government is advancing a lot of support for us to tackle these acts of terrorism,” he added.
The governor urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements to security agencies, stressing that timely information was crucial to tackling criminal elements.
He also directed security agencies to maintain their presence in strategic locations and intensify efforts to confront those responsible for the attacks.
Alia assured residents that his administration would continue working to protect lives and property across Benue State.


0 Comments
DISCLAIMER
The views and opinions expressed on this platform as comments were freely made by each person under his or her own volition or responsibility and were neither suggested nor dictated by the owners of News PLATFORM or any of their contracted staff. So we take no liability whatsoever for such comments.
Please take note!