Three South Africans have been formally charged in connection with the killing of a 22-year-old Nigerian student who also worked as an e-hailing driver.
The incident, which took place in Pretoria West last week, has sparked concern over the safety of ride-hailing drivers.
The accused, a 25-year-old woman and two men aged 26 and 30, appeared in Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
They face charges of murder and car hijacking.
All three chose to remain in custody as the case was postponed for further investigation. Police said a fourth suspect is still being sought.
The victim, Isaac David Satlat, was an automotive engineering student and driver on the Bolt platform.
On February 11, he accepted a ride request in Pretoria West. Preliminary reports indicate that a dash camera in the vehicle captured part of the attack.
Video footage circulating online allegedly shows him being assaulted by passengers. Authorities have asked the public not to share the material to avoid interfering with the investigation and causing more distress to the family.
Satlat’s vehicle was recovered, and his body was found the same day in Atteridgeville, west of Pretoria.
Police said arrests followed careful review of digital evidence, with the female suspect taken into custody on February 13, and the two men arrested over the weekend.
Fellow e-hailing drivers gathered outside the court, calling for stronger security and better cooperation between ride-hailing services and law enforcement.
Satlat’s family said he was due to graduate next month and had plans to continue his studies in Canada.
They are seeking help to repatriate his body to Nigeria. Relatives described the killing as a criminal act and stressed that it should not be treated as a national issue.
South Africa has high levels of violent crime, including car hijackings, and authorities have faced pressure to improve safety for gig-economy workers. Police continue their investigation and efforts to find the remaining suspect.

0 Comments
DISCLAIMER
The views and opinions expressed on this platform as comments were freely made by each person under his or her own volition or responsibility and were neither suggested nor dictated by the owners of News PLATFORM or any of their contracted staff. So we take no liability whatsoever for such comments.
Please take note!